UCLA Extension

Visa Inquiry

Before Planning a Program

Each international participant attending a UCLA Extension custom program in the U.S. must have a valid and appropriate, non-immigrant U.S. visa as well as a valid passport before departing for the U.S.

Before we can start planning a custom-designed program, prospective clients must complete and submit a Program Information Form (PIF). Based on the PIF and the nature and length of your program, we will recommend the visa type that we believe is appropriate for your program. We will also provide the necessary documents to assist your participants in applying for a U.S. visa. However, U.S. Embassy and Consular officials make the final determination on the type of visa appropriate for each program.

Since it may take up to 2 months to obtain a visa, we advise all clients to start planning their programs as early as possible – preferably three months in advance.

Maintaining Visa Status

(Information for program participants)

Once you obtain a visa, you must follow specific rules and regulations in order to maintain your non-immigrant status during your stay in the U.S. It is not the responsibility of UCLA Extension or the custom programs unit, to keep you in status – it is your responsibility.

On the first day of your program, an International Student Office (ISO) counselor will give a short presentation with advice about staying in status. The counselor will also tell you what NOT to do while you are in the U.S.

Failure to comply with visa regulations can result in the loss of your visa status, being declared an illegal immigrant, having to leave the U.S. immediately, and/or not being able to enter the U.S. for a period of ten years or more.

To maintain your visa status at UCLA Extension:
  • Keep your passport and visa documents valid while you are in the U.S.
  • Notify the ISO if you plan to travel outside the U.S. while you are enrolled in a custom program. This includes travel to Mexico and Canada.
  • Do not accept any employment or internships while you are enrolled in your custom program.
  • Notify the ISO if for some reason you plan to enroll in another program or stay in the U.S. after the completion of your program.
  • Notify the ISO within 10 days of any change in personal information, address, legal name, and/or changes with your husband/wife/children who are here with you.
  • Follow the rules and deadlines for the completion of your program.